Thursday, March 7, 2013

Saints Day frame

Wanted to share an easy way to add a liturgical touch to your home decorating. 

I quickly put this framed artwork together for St. David's Day, but  we will be using it in the future to highlight other saint days and liturgical holidays.



Basically, I purchased a plain white hinged frame. Mine holds 3.5" x 5.5" photos, but you could purchase any size that meets your needs.  Mine was just a few dollars purchased from Michael's with a coupon.

I may eventually decorate the frame with paint pens or saint symbols, but for right now I'm keeping it simply white.

When a saint's feast day rolls around, I insert a printed image of the saint in frame on the right side. If I don't have a print, I'll search the internet for appropriate images.  

On the left side of the frame, I'll write a short message like "Today's saint is..."  I use a dry erase marker to write directly on the clear glass; it can be easily wiped off with a damp paper towel whenever I want to change the message.

Here are some of the Lent printables I'll be using in the frame in the next month.  Most of these are images from a Catholic Artworks CD that I purchased, but you could use holy card or other images, too.



I'll be using this for St. Patrick's Day in a couple of weeks; I think I will print part of the "breastplate" prayer on the left side, or perhaps something about how St. Patrick used a shamrock to teach about the Trinity.

I will also add special images throughout Holy Week, especially for Palm Sunday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday and of course, Easter! 

Do you have any simple items you use to give your home a "liturgical" touch?  If so, what are they?  Please share in the combox!

6 comments:

  1. Saints in a frame. Nice idea. We have a lenten calendar with readings for each day, and a piece of paper numbered 1-40 with a symbol from the reading to pin up each day (except Sundays) when we have read the text. We're hopelesly behind this year, but normally it's a good way of preparing for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your lenten calendar sounds nice; I like the symbol to match the readings each day. Have you done a blog post on it? Would like to check it out!

      Delete
  2. That's an awesome idea. Very easy for busy moms to do and if you keep the saint pictures in a file by months you won't need to search out the images in future years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea--to keep the saints pictures in file divided by months!

      I'm hoping eventually my daughter will like to do the "saint picture changing" since she's outgrown calendar time. This file idea would make it easy for her.

      Delete
  3. That's a terrific idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cheryl, This is a super cute idea! Thanks so much for sharing it on my link-up! We have used a calender to display ours saints pictures(on their feast days), but this is great! I think I may make a switch to your frame idea. I may be a nice change for the kids! Thanks so much! God bless!

    ReplyDelete