Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A new holiday cookie favorite -- just in time for New Year's Day!

Although this isn't generally a food blog, the Christmas Cookie Recipe Exchange Link-Up at Catholic Cuisine inspired me to share a new recipe:  Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies.

This will become a standard holiday recipe for  my family:  it is DELICIOUS!  And the green color is so festive. Best of all, it is easy to make because it uses one pouch of Betty Crocker's Sugar Cookie Mix as its base. (No need to measure flour, baking powder, etc.) 

Here's the recipe:

1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
6 to 8 drops green food color (for me, this created a very light green color.  I added 10-12 drops.  You will need to experiment based on the strength of your food coloring.) 1 egg
1 cup creme de menthe baking chips (I used Andes Crème de Menthe Baking Chips)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks (I used semisweet chocolate chips)

Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, extract, food color and egg until soft dough forms. Stir in creme de menthe baking chips and chocolate chunks. Using small cookie scoop or teaspoon, drop dough 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool 3 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Serve warm or cool completely. Store tightly covered at room temperature.   Makes 3 dozen cookies.

You can also check out this recipe (and reader reviews) on the Betty Crocker website.

Incidentally, my first batch is already gone, so I'll be making another batch for our New Year's celebrations!

Check out other delicious holiday recipes at Catholic Cuisine.



1 comment:

  1. Hello, and happy new year. I'm here from Homeschool goodies (Evann's site) where I saw you commented. you have a wonderful blog! nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete